With immigrants from the west of Scotland and the north of
Ireland, and with many transferring their homes from the eastern
and central parts of Virginia, the vicinity of Washington
was settled in 1768.
The Pennsylvania legislature passed an act on March 28, 1781,
erecting the County of Washington and naming Catfish Camp
as the place for holding the first election. This was the
first county in the U.S. to bear the name of Washington.
David Hoge laid out a plan of lots immediately after
the action of the legislature. His original plot
bears the name "Bassett, alias Dandridge Town,"
but before the plot was recorded, lines were drawn
through "Bassett, alias Dandridge Town"
with ink, and the word "Washington" was
The town started with every evidence of progressive tendencies,
as the original plot dedicated a tract of ground to the people
for recreational purposes. A lot was given for a courthouse
where the current building now stands, and Lots 43 and 102,
according to the plan, were presented by Mr. Hoge to "His
Excellency, General Washington, and Mrs. Washington."
Part of the townsite had been the camp of Tingoocqua, who
was a chief in the Kuskuskee tribe of Indians.
The town was incorporated as a borough on February 13, 1810,
and became a city of the third class in 1924.